Friday, January 22, 2010

dudhi halwa ( bottle gourd sweet )

This is one the healthiest & my favourite halwas which i had been eating since my childhood,everytime in winters my mom use to make dudhi ka and gajjar ka halwa but she always boils the milk and reduces it to half and then add in dudhi so i thought its a long process & once was making this halwa in bangalore,I had some mawa in my refigerator and was kinda in hurry so i called up my mom and asked her wether i can use mawa instead of milk and she answered me definately it will reduce your cooking time and give more taste to it and i was really glad to hear that ,since then i use mawa instead of full cream milk.
ingredients :
1kg dudhi ( lauki/ghiya/bottle gourd )
200 gms mawa
1 cup sugar ( adjust according to your taste )
1-2 tbsp almond & pista flakes
2-3 strands of saffron
1tsp cardomon pwd
1tbsp ghee
method :
Grate dudhi.Squeeze it out completely.Grate mawa and mix in dudhi into a heavy bottomed pan. Boil till thick, stirring occassionally. Once it starts thickening, stir continuously. Add sugar and cook further till thickens. Add ghee, elaichi & saffron . Stir on low flame till the mixture collects in a soft ball or the ghee oozes out. Serve hot, decorated with a chopped almond and pista.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you all for visiting my blog,please do drop a line with your expert thoughts...